Monday, January 28, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

This is quite possibly the most entertaining, enjoyable film I've seen all year. I'm not really sure why it was nominated for Best Picture, considering it was just a really great romantic comedy and not much more. I've had this discussion with a few people, and the only reason I can agree with the nomination is the fact that the story feels so real and doesn't shy away from the behavior of normal everyday people. It doesn't really poke fun at mental illness, nor does it minimize the difficulties.

Jennifer Lawrence was absolutely spectacular, really nailing the nuances of a girl who isn't afraid to say and do what she wants. It wasn't a caricature, but a beautiful portrayal. I can nearly say the same for Bradley Cooper. I've never seen him quite like this, and it was refreshing. I laughed, I cried, and tried not to blink. This was an absolute gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment