Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Movie I Saw Friday - Youth in Revolt

Youth in Revolt

I've been DVRing a lot of movies lately because I don't own any, I haven't yet succumbed to Netflix, and Blockbuster is 15 minutes away. When I saw this title, I thought, this sounds terribly violent.

It's actually that Michael Cera movie about him having to be bad in order to win over the girl of his dreams. He creates an alter ego.

It was mindless and enjoyable enough, but the fact that his bad boy alter ego constantly had a cigarette in his mouth kinda bothered me. Like we are still trying to reinforce the belief that the cool kids are smoking.

Cera and Portia Doubleday, who played his love interest, both fell flat. Their characters, in an effort to not overact, were a bit bland.

Justin Long was great as the stoner brother, feeding his high-strung Bible-hugging parents special mushrooms to mellow them out.

I could take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment