Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Movie I Saw Saturday - Adventureland

Adventureland

I was sorta ambivilant toward this film, but my boyfriend told me he enjoyed it, so I watched it.

You know what? I think Jesse Eisenberg is the bee's knees. That boy is effortlessly awkward, very much like he is in real life. While you could say it is a cop-out -- that he's not really acting -- I disagree. He melds his awkwardness toward the character. And this one, a nervous not-so-smooth-with-the-ladies smartypants, was far different from his potrayal of Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network.

He really just wins you over from square one. And as much as I want to dislike Kristen Stewart for her stupid, stupid hyperventilating in the Twilight "Saga" of movies, she really puts this silent emotion into her damaged character.

The movie doesn't so much hold you in suspence, but keeps you stuck in the exact moment you're watching. You don't anticipate what's next, you live for what's now. The characters live and breathe, and each scene further develops relationships and personalities, without being too obvious. Nothing is pushed on you.

If any movie glorifies pot smoking, it's this one.

That was as sidenote.

But that's not the focus. It's about Eisenberg and Stewart's characters, and how they help each other learn and grow. And as cheesy as that sounds, none of the film itself ever feels like that. It's natural, and it makes you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment